[R] Simple Stacking of Two Columns

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Mon Apr 3 17:44:21 CEST 2023

Hi,

You were on the right track using stack(), but you just pass the entire data frame as a single object, not the separate columns:

> stack(NamesWide)
  values   ind
1    Tom Name1
2   Dick Name1
3  Larry Name2
4  Curly Name2

Note that stack also returns the index (second column of 'ind' values), which tells you which column in the source data frame the stacked values originated from.

Thus, if you just want the actual data:

> stack(NamesWide)$values
[1] "Tom"   "Dick"  "Larry" "Curly"

returns a vector, or:

> stack(NamesWide)[, 1, drop = FALSE]
  values
1    Tom
2   Dick
3  Larry
4  Curly

which returns a data frame with a single column named 'values'.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz