[R] on lexical scoping....

Deepayan Sarkar deep@y@n@@@rk@r @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Apr 4 16:21:20 CEST 2023

On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 7:26 PM akshay kulkarni <akshay_e4 using hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Members,
>                              I have the following code typed at the
> console prompt:
>
> y   <-   x*10
>
> X has not been defined and the above code throws an object not found
> error. That is, the global environment does not contain x.

That is not the correct interpretation of the error. R will happily evaluate

y   <-   pi*10

even if the global environment does not contain pi. The "environments"
where R will look is given by

search()

If you manage to find a package that defines 'x' (and exports it),
attaching it will put the package on the search path, and then your call
will indeed no longer give an error.

-Deepayan

Why doesn't it look further in the environment stack, like that of