[R] on lexical scoping....

Tue Apr 4 16:51:52 CEST 2023

You can't change the basic way R searches, but you can ask for a
different kind of search.  For example, to see if "x" exists, you can use

  exists("x")

and it will do the default search, but

  exists("x", inherits = FALSE)

will only look in the current environment.  The get() function has a
similar argument which returns the value

Unfortunately these functions have overly complicated argument lists
because they are based on functions in S from 30-40 years ago, and it
had very different scoping rules.  My advice would be to ignore the
"where" and "frame" arguments, and always use "envir" if you want to say
where to look.

Duncan Murdoch