[R] Matrix scalar operation that saves memory?

Eric Berger er|cjberger @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Apr 12 08:38:36 CEST 2023

One possibility might be to use Rcpp.
An R matrix is stored in contiguous memory, which can be considered as a
vector.
Define a C++ function which operates on a vector in place, as in the
following:

library(Rcpp)
cppFunction(
  'void subtractConst(NumericVector x, double c) {
  for ( int i = 0; i < x.size(); ++i)
    x[i] = x[i] - c;
}')

Try this function out on a matrix. Here we define a 5x2 matrix

m <- matrix(150.5 + 1:10, nrow=5)
print(m)

      [,1]  [,2]
[1,] 151.5 156.5