[R] adding "Page X of XX" to PDFs

Sat Dec 2 21:51:48 CET 2023

On 02/12/2023 2:07 p.m., Ben Bolker wrote:
>      Sorry, jumped into the thread too late. (On the other hand, once the
> document gets complicated enough, it may be worth it in the long run to
> convert to something that actually has a document-generating back-end,
> rather than reinventing everything from scratch ...)

I agree with that comment.  However, if one is stuck with a multipage
PDF file, and wants to add page numbering, you could use the LaTeX
pdfpages package.

For example, this R Markdown document includes all 10 plots from
Rplots.pdf on pages with "x of y" page numbering.

   ---
   title: "Numbered"
   output:
     pdf_document:
       extra_dependencies: ["pdfpages", "fancyhdr", "lastpage"]
   ---

   \cfoot{Page \thepage\ of \pageref{LastPage}}

   \addtocounter{page}{-1}

   \includepdf[pages={1-10},pagecommand={\thispagestyle{fancy}}]{Rplots.pdf}

It would make more sense to do this in a LaTeX document, but I'm not
sure if Dennis knows LaTeX...

Duncan Murdoch