[R] Fit NLE - was: computer algebra in R

Konrad konr@d_kr@emer @end|ng |rom y@hoo@de
Fri Dec 8 08:21:16 CET 2023

Dear all,

first I would like to thank Leo for his help and advice. My sincere
apologies for the delayed response; regrettably, I overlooked the email.

In order to characterize the problem a bit better I want to give
additional information and clarify the point where I have problems.

First of all the equation system is defined as:

h0 = h + hd + hg,
d0 = d + hd,
ga0 = ga + hg,
kga = hg/(h*ga),
kd = hd/(h*d)

The aim is to fit a non-linear equation in the form: signal ~ I0 + IHD *
hd + ID * d.

The parameters which should be identified/optimized are: I0, ID, IHD and
kd. However, the only information known is kga (33600.0), h0
(0.0000208), d0 (0.000079) and the guest concentration (= ga0).

In Mathematica the equation system is repeatedly solved for hd and d.
First the system 0 = h + hd + hga, 33600. = d + hd, ga0 = ga + hga,
0.000079 = hga/(ga*h), 0.0000208 = hd/(d*h) is passed to the Eliminate
function which eliminates four variables. In the case for hd the
variables h, d, hga and ga are eliminated. The resulting system is:
3.71035392*^12 + 2.635566*^8*hd - 3783.*hd^2 == ga0*(-1.72536*^8 +
5135.*hd). Afterwards this system is used by a numerical solver to get
the result of hd.

My problem is how to replicate the Eliminate function in R. Or is it
possible to solely solve the system numerically?

Thanks a lot in advance.

All the best,

Konrad

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]