[R] Convert character date time to R date-time variable.

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Fri Dec 8 22:30:07 CET 2023

On 12/7/23 08:21, Sorkin, John wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> I have a matrix of character data that represents date and time. The format of each element of the matrix is
> "2020-09-17_00:00:00"
> How can I convert the elements into a valid R date-time constant?

You will not be able to store these datetime values in an R matrix, at
least as class POSIXct. You could with class POSIXlt, but I've not seen
it used before but it does appear possible since matrices can contain
lists.

R matrices do no provide the capability to assign attributes, so only
atomic types and lists can be elements. If you wanted to maintain the
same structure, your first step might be to coerce to a data.frame and
then proceed, or to first construct a vector and then use as the first
argument to `matrix`.

Best;

David