[R] Convert two-dimensional array into a three-dimensional array.

Sat Dec 9 00:51:04 CET 2023

OK. I'm not getting what you want, so feel free to ignore this if you think
I've missed the point completely and don't want to waste your time. Won't
be my first time clueless.

A 3-D array can be  thought of as as a "pile" of 2-D flats, so a 10 x 2 x
10 array consists of 10 2-d flats, each 10 x 2. So tell me what you want
the first 10x2 flat to contain, then the second, etc.  Here is a print
representation of a 2 x 4 x 3 array that might help:

> array(1:24, dim = c(2,4,3))
, , 1

     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4]
[1,]    1    3    5    7
[2,]    2    4    6    8

, , 2

     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4]
[1,]    9   11   13   15
[2,]   10   12   14   16

, , 3

     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4]
[1,]   17   19   21   23
[2,]   18   20   22   24

FWIW, it sounds to me like you just do something like:

> dval <- matrix(1:8, nrow = 2)
> dval
     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4]
[1,]    1    3    5    7
[2,]    2    4    6    8
> ar <- array(dval, dim = c(2,4,3))
> ar
, , 1

     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4]
[1,]    1    3    5    7
[2,]    2    4    6    8

, , 2

     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4]
[1,]    1    3    5    7
[2,]    2    4    6    8

, , 3

[1,]    1    3    5    7
[2,]    2    4    6    8

since the 3rd array index itself provides the values you refer to. But this
doesn't make sense to me, so I've probably misinterpreted.

Cheers,
Bert