[R] Sorting based a custom sorting function

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@xyz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Dec 14 17:37:58 CET 2023

In the spirit of 'advent of code', maybe it is better to exploit the features of the particular language you've chosen? Then the use of factors seems very relevant.

value_levels <- c("Small", "Medium", "Large")
df <- data.frame(
    person = c("Alice", "Bob", "Bob", "Charlie"),
    value = factor(
        c("Medium", "Large", "Small", "Large"),
        levels = value_levels
    )
)
df[with(df, order(person, value)),]

Likely this is more efficient than the hints of your existing solution, because it will act on vectors rather than iterating through individual elements of the 'person' and 'value' vectors.

For a more general solution, I don't think I'd follow the low-level approach Duncan suggests (maybe see also ?Math for S3 generics), but rather define a class (e.g., that requires vectors person and value) and implement a corresponding `xtfrm()` method.

Have fun with the remainder of the advent!

Another Martin