[R] Extracting data using subset function

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Sun Feb 5 20:59:35 CET 2023

On Sun, 5 Feb 2023 19:37:03 +0530
Upananda Pani <upananda.pani using gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I want to create a vector p and extract first 20 observations using
> subset function based on logical condition.
>
> My code is below
>
> p <- 0:100
>
> I know i can extract the first 20 observations using the following
> command.
>
> q <- p[1:20]
>
> But I want to extract the first 20 observations using subset function
> which requires a logical condition. I am not able to frame the
> logical condition.
>
> The code should be
>
> q <- subset(p, logical condition)
>
> I am not able to do it. Please let me know what you think.

I think that you are manufacturing an unnecessary difficulty.  If you
want the first 20 entries of p, use p[1:20]!!!

However, if you obdurately *insist* on using subset() you could do

    subset(p,(1:length(p)) <= 20)

This works, but makes a mountain out of a molehill.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow