[R] R Certification

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jan 4 09:19:07 CET 2023

I note that Java, for example, has changed a LOT and
a certificate from, say, 10 years ago, wouldn't impress
me much today.  The same can be said of C#, and of R.
So the question would be, "what VALUE would a certificate
about R provide?"

Well, for one thing, it would be a certificate of
proficiency in the core R programming language and
the contents of the 'base' and 'stats' packages.
But there is a huge number of packages serving a
huge number of needs.  If, for example, I needed
someone who understood how to exchange data between
R and a GIS system like GRASS, how to do spatial
analysis with R, and how to produce a report with
knitr, that's at least three packages that would NOT
be covered by an 'R' certificate.  And honestly, if
I were in the happy position of being able to hire a
data analyst for the region-scale data I have in
mind, I wouldn't *care* whether they used R, SciPy,
or Julia.

So if you want to show potential employers a
certificate to persuade them that you know something
useful, I suggest that you ask some of them what
they would like such a certificate to be *about*.
It would not surprise me if they said "how about a
degree in statistics, or in data science, or in
data visualisation" or something of the sort.