[R] Issue building from source on RHEL7

Thu Jan 5 19:25:31 CET 2023

On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 17:49:34 +0000
Stéphane Plaisance <Stephane.Plaisance using vib.be> wrote:

> The instruction on Posit are almost identical to those in R except
> they add a version folder to be able to instyall multiple R's in
> parallel. I do not think this is the reason.

You're right. I don't currently see anything in Posit's instruction
that could have caused this.

> I apparently fixed my 4.1.3 issue by adding a symlink R in
> /usr/lib64/ pointing to /opt/R/${R_VERSION}/lib64/R folder
> This additional symlink is not detailed in the doc(s) and
> apparently takes care of re-establishing the link to lib and source
> files when running R.

Congratulations on getting R running!

I'm afraid that's not the way R is intended to be working. I think
there's something else currently broken in your R installation, though
feel free to ignore me if you don't want to deal with this right now.

There should be no need to create such symlinks when installing R: if
told to run from under a given prefix, it should be entirely possible
to avoid touching the rest of the filesystem. Are you sure you didn't
have R_HOME or some other environment variables interfering with the
workings of R? Was the R-4.1.3 installation also built from source the
same way you were building R-4.2.2, or did it come from an RPM?

--
Best regards,
Ivan