[R] Interactive 3D Plot with non-numeric axis tick labels

Wolfgang Grond grond @end|ng |rom number|@nd@de
Mon Jan 9 14:58:02 CET 2023

Dear all,

What I want to create is an interactive 3D plot from a data frame like this:

#: number
TLD: Countrycode
Date: date
String: a label

Because plot3d can only deal with numbers I converted Date to Year and
TLD as well as String to a numeric value like this:

numTLD <- as.numeric(factor(df$TLD))

#   	TLD	Date		String	Year	numTLD	numString
1	DE	1988-11-07	B23K	1988	3	74
2	DE	1984-09-06	B23K	1984	3	74
3	DE	1996-03-21	B23K	1996	3	74
4	DE	1996-03-21	B23K	1996	3	74
5	DE	1996-03-21	B23K	1996	3	74
6	DE	1996-03-21	B23K	1996	3	74
7	DE	1996-03-21	B23K	1996	3	74
8	DE	1996-03-21	B23K	1996	3	74
9	DE	1996-03-21	B23K	1996	3	74

To create an interactive 3D plot I use:

plot3d(df$numTLD, df$Year, df$numString)

The plot then shows numeric axis ticks labels, which is what I want to
get in the case of Year. But for numTLD and numString I want to have

- DE instead of 3 for TLD
- B23K instead of 74 for String

(axis ticks labeled with strings, not with numbers).

I didn't succeed to figure out how this can be reached.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards