[R] gmp::bigq vs. MASS::fractions

Sigbert Klinke @|gbert @end|ng |rom w|w|@hu-ber||n@de
Wed Jan 11 17:13:57 CET 2023

Hello,

Am 07.01.23 um 17:55 schrieb Ivan Krylov:
 > What do you need the fractions for?

When writing tasks for statistics exams, I try to avoid non-terminal
intermediate results. Students might round them and arrive at a final
result that might be slightly different from the true value. Although
the exam package supports a tolerance for checking the result, this
could be problematic. To check if a number is non-terminal, I calculate
a fraction representation and check if the denominator can be expressed
by 2^p 5^q.

@Enrico: When I started developing assignments a few years ago, I was
not familiar with gmp. :(

Thanks Sigbert