[R] return value of {....}

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jan 16 00:39:07 CET 2023

I wonder if the real confusino is not R's scope rules?
(begin .) is not Lisp, it's Scheme (a major Lisp dialect),
and in Scheme, (begin (define x ...) (define y ...) ...)
declares variables x and y that are local to the (begin ...)
form, just like Algol 68.  That's weirdness 1.  Javascript
had a similar weirdness, when the ECMAscript process eventually
addressed.  But the real weirdness in R is not just that the
existence of variables is indifferent to the presence of curly
braces, it's that it's *dynamic*.  In
f <- function (...) {
   ... use x ...
   x <- ...
   ... use x ...
}
the two occurrences of "use x" refer to DIFFERENT variables.
The first occurrence refers to the x that exists outside the
function.  It has to: the local variable does not exist yet.
The assignment *creates* the variable, so the second
occurrence of "use x" refers to the inner variable.
Here's an actual example.
> x <- 137
> f <- function () {
+     a <- x
+     x <- 42
+     b <- x
+     list(a=a, b=b)
+ }
> f()
$a
[1] 137
$b
[1] 42

Many years ago I set out to write a compiler for R, and this was
the issue that finally sank my attempt.  It's not whether the
occurrence of "use x" is *lexically* before the creation of x.
It's when the assignment is *executed* that makes the difference.
Different paths of execution through a function may result in it
arriving at its return point with different sets of local variables.
R is the only language I routinely use that does this.

So rule 1: whether an identifier in an R function refers to an
outer variable or a local variable depends on whether an assignment
creating that local variable has been executed yet.
And rule 2: the scope of a local variable is the whole function.

If the following transcript not only makes sense to you, but is
exactly what you expect, congratulations, you understand local
variables in R.

> x <- 0
> g <- function () {
+     n <- 10
+     r <- numeric(n)
+     for (i in 1:n) {
+         if (i == 6) x <- 100
+         r[i] <- x + i
+     }
+     r
+ }
> g()
 [1]   1   2   3   4   5 106 107 108 109 110