[R] return value of {....}

@vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com @vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com
Mon Jan 16 03:20:26 CET 2023

Richard,

I appreciate your observations. As regularly noted, there are many possible
forks in the road to designing a language and it seems someone is determined
to try every possible fork.

Yes, some languages that are compiled, or like JavaScript, read the entire
function before executing it and promote some parts written further down to
the top so all variable declarations, as one example, are done before
executing any remaining code. If you look at R, if you decide to use a
library, you can ask for it near the top or just before you want to use it.
I think they get executed as needed so if you only load it in one branch of
an IF statement, ...

We can debate good and bad subjective choices in language design BUT for
practical purposes, what matters is that a feature IS a certain way and you
use it consistently with what is documented, not what you wish it was like.
R has an interpreter that arguably may be simple and keep reading small
sections of code and executing them and then getting more. Much of the code
is not even evaluated till much later or never and thus it may not be
trivial to do any kind of look-ahead and adjustment.

Many languages now look a bit silly after some changes are made or things
added that make the earlier way look clumsy. Some features may even be
deprecated and eventually removed, or the language forks again and people
argue that everyone should upgrade to the new version 12.x and so on.

Do note R lets you use rm(x) and also supports multiple environments
including new dynamic ones  so your example might have a region where an x
is used in quite a few ways such as asking some function call to be
evaluated in a specific environment. This flexibility would be harder if you
asked the interpreter to do things like some other languages that may not
support much. However, lots of languages with scoping rules will indeed
allow you to use variables in outer scopes or hidden scopes and so on. To
each their own.