[R] foreign package: unable to read S-Plus objects

Joseph Voelkel jgvcq@ @end|ng |rom r|t@edu
Mon Jan 16 23:22:33 CET 2023

Dear foreign maintainers and others,

I am trying to import a number of S-Plus objects into R. The only way I see how to do this is by using the foreign package.

However, when I try to do this I receive an error message. A snippet of code and the error message follows:

read.S(file.path(Spath, "nrand"))
Error in read.S(file.path(Spath, "nrand")) : not an S object

I no longer know the version of S-Plus in which these objects were created. I do know that I have printed documentation, dated July 2001, from S-Plus 6; and that all S-Plus objects were created in the 9/2004 -- 5/2005 range.

I am afraid that I simply have S-Plus objects that are not the S version 3 files that the foreign package can read, yes? But I am still hoping that it may be possible to read these in.

I am not attaching some sample S-Plus objects to this email, because I  believe they will be stripped away as binary files. However, a sample of these files may be found at

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wFVa972ciP44Ob2YVWfqk8SGIodzAXPv?usp=sharing  (simdat is the largest file, at 469 KB)

Thank you for any assistance you may provide.

R 4.2.2
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.1455]
foreign_0.8-83

Joe Voelkel
Professor Emeritus
RIT