[R] function doesn't exists but still runs..... (akshay kulkarni)

akshay kulkarni @k@h@y_e4 @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Fri Jan 20 18:18:54 CET 2023

Dear Jorgen,
                     thanks for the reply.....so according to you one can pegion hole the problem as concerning R's lexical scoping rules,am I right? Or some arcane concept regarding environments....?

THanking you,
Yours sincerely,
AKSHAY M KULKARNI
________________________________
From: Jorgen Harmse <JHarmse using roku.com>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2023 9:34 PM
To: r-help using r-project.org <r-help using r-project.org>; akshay_e4 using hotmail.com <akshay_e4 using hotmail.com>; williamwdunlap using gmail.com <williamwdunlap using gmail.com>
Subject: Re: function doesn't exists but still runs..... (akshay kulkarni)

It may help to expand a bit on Bill Dunlap's answer. I think that library does something like this:

Create a new environment for all the package objects. This environment will not be directly visible from .GlobalEnv, and ancestor environments may not be directly visible either. It may contain functions & other objects that are not exported, and it may use objects in ancestor environments that .GlobalEnv doesn't see directly. On the other hand, functions in the package will still see external functions in the way the package author intended instead of seeing functions with the same name that are visible to .GlobalEnv.

Run the source code in the private environment (using source(local=private environment, ....)?). Most package source code just defines functions, but the source code could build other objects that the package needs for some reason, or it could use delayedAssign to build the objects lazily. By default, the environment of any function defined by the source code is the private environment, so the function has access to private objects and to anything in ancestor environments.

Create a second new environment whose parent is parent.env(.GlobalEnv). For every export, assign the corresponding object from the private environment into the corresponding name in the public environment. Note that the environment of any function is still the private environment in which it was created. (I think that a function is mostly determined by its environment, its formals, and its body. A function call creates a new environment whose parent is the environment of the function. Thus whoever wrote the function can control the search for anything that isn�t passed in or created by the function itself.)

Reset parent.env(.GlobalEnv) to be the public environment. This makes all the exported objects (usually functions) available at the command line and allows the user to see everything that was available before (usually by name only, but by scope-resolved name if necessary). As noted by Bill Dunlap and in more detail above, package functions can use functions & other objects that are not directly visible to the user. As he also showed, you can (usually) pierce the privacy as long at least one function is exported. environment(package_function) is the private environment, so you can use it to see all the private objects and everything in the ancestor environments. You can repeat the trick to see private environments of packages you didn't directly pull in. I think you can even unlock bindings and do ghastly things to the package's private environment.

Regards,

Jorgen Harmse.

Message: 17