[R] Info files in Windows and Mac distributions

Sun Jan 22 18:38:13 CET 2023

On 22/01/2023 12:09 p.m., Naresh Gurbuxani wrote:
> Recently I installed Linux on my desktop.  I discovered that R for Linux ships with info files of manuals.  R for Windows and Mac only ship with html and pdf files of manuals.
>
> Why not include info files in R distributions for Windows and Mac?  These are very convenient with emacs.  Using pandoc , I tried converting from html to info.  The results were nowhere near as good as the originals.

I think the answer to the question is just that there isn't much demand
for them:  emacs is mainly used by Linux users these days.

But the source to the manuals is available, so presumably you could
produce these pretty easily yourself.  The R-devel versions are here:

   https://github.com/r-devel/r-svn/tree/master/doc/manual

I don't know whether the .texi files are sufficient for emacs or whether
you need to process them first; I'm not an emacs user.

Duncan Murdoch