[R] Problem with filling dataframe's column

@vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com @vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com
Thu Jun 15 07:51:47 CEST 2023

Richard, it is indeed possible for different languages to choose different approaches.

If your point is that an R  named list can simulate a Python dictionary (or for that manner, a set) there is some validity to that. You can also use environments similarly.

Arguably there are differences including in things like what notations are built into the language. If you look the other way, Python chose to make lists a major feature which can hold any combination of things and can even be used to emulate a matrix with sub-lists and also had a tuple version that is similar but immutable and initially neglected something as simple as a vector containing just one kind of content. If you look at it now, many people simply load numpy (and often pandas) to get functionality that is faster and comes by default in R.

I think this discussion was about my (amended) offhand remark suggesting R factors stored plain text in a vector attached to the variable and the offset was the number stored in the main factor vector. If that changed to internally use something hashed like a dictionary, fine. I have often made data structures such as in your example to store named items but did not call it a dictionary but simply a named list. In one sense, the two map into each other but I could argue there remain differences. For example, you can use something immutable like a tuple as a key in python.

This is not an argument about which language is better. Each has developed to fill ideas and has been extended and quite a few things can now be done in either one. Still, it can be interesting to combine the two inside RSTUDIO so each does some of what it may do better or faster or in a way you find more natural.

From: Richard O'Keefe <raoknz using gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2023 10:34 PM
To: avi.e.gross using gmail.com
Cc: Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 using gmail.com>; R-help using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] Problem with filling dataframe's column

Consider

  m <- list(foo=c(1,2),"B'ar"=as.matrix(1:4,2,2),"!*#"=c(FALSE,TRUE))

It is a collection of elements of different types/structures, accessible
via string keys (and also by position).  Entries can be added:

  m[["fred"]] <- 47

Entries can be removed:

How much more like a Python dictionary do you need it to be?