[R] Multiplying two vectors of the same size to give a third vector of the same size

@vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com @vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com
Wed Jun 21 04:46:35 CEST 2023

I was rushing out Phil so let me amend what I wrote. As others noted, this is fairly beginner stuff. If you have more such questions, besides reading up, please consider sending questions to the Tutor mailing list where there is more patience. 😉

You wanted to change selected small values to 0.0.

So you do not want the code I supplied as illustration as  it removes small elements making a smaller  vector.

Assume this test:

A <- c(NA, 0.3, 0.6, NA, 0.9)
B <- c(NA, 0.2, 0.6, 0.9, 0.9)

C <- A * B
print(C)

The result at this point is:

[1]   NA 0.06 0.36   NA 0.81

As expected, anything with an NA in either vector will generate an NA in the componentwise multiplication. Note the second item at 0.06 is under your threshold of 0.1.

What you want is not this:

Result <- C[C < 0.1]
> Result
[1]   NA 0.06   NA

That threw away anything above the threshold.

What you want may be this:

C[C < 0.1] <- 0.0
print(C)

This returns

[1]   NA 0.00 0.36   NA 0.81

Everything that is NA or at or above 0.1 is kept and anything below 0.1 is zeroed and kept.

Of course, if you do not want to keep the NA, that can trivially be removed:

C[!is.na(C)]
[1] 0.00 0.36 0.81