[R] data.frame with a column containing an array

Tue May 9 16:56:24 CEST 2023

Right ... that's what I thought you meant.

I'm pretty sure -- but not certain -- that columns of matrices are treated
specially by [.data.frame, so that you have to explicitly index a higher
dimensional array, e.g. like this:

subs <- c(1,3)
DFA <- data.frame(id = 1:3)
DFA[["ar"]] <- array(1:12, c(3,2,2))

DFA$ar[match(subs,DFA$id),,]
##yielding:
, , 1

     [,1] [,2]
[1,]    1    4
[2,]    3    6

, , 2

     [,1] [,2]
[1,]    7   10
[2,]    9   12

You might check, e.g. the "data.table" package, to see if it indexes as you
would like with columns that contain arrays.

Alternatively, and perhaps preferably depending on your use case, you may
wish to create a wholly different data structure or just treat the data
frame as a list from the start. Data frames/matrix-like data structures are
convenient and appropriate a lot of the time, but not always. R, like any
flexible programming language, allows you -- even encourages you -- to
create other data structures that fit your needs.

Cheers,
Bert