[R] Recombining Mon and Year values

Jeff Reichman re|chm@nj @end|ng |rom @bcg|ob@|@net
Wed May 17 01:01:05 CEST 2023

Ah the zoo package! I was trying with lubridate package.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rui Barradas <ruipbarradas using sapo.pt>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2023 5:04 PM
To: Jeff Reichman <reichmanj using sbcglobal.net>; r-help using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] Recombining Mon and Year values

Às 21:29 de 16/05/2023, Jeff Reichman escreveu:
> R Help
>

> I have a data.frame where I've broken out the year <dbl> and an
> ordered month <ord> values. But I need to recombine them so I can
> graph mon-year in order but when I recombine I lose the month order
> and the results are plotted alphabetical.
>

> Year        month  mon_year
>
> <dbl>     <ord>
>
> 2021     Mar        Mar-2021
>
> 2021     Jan         Jan-2021
>
> 2021     Apr         Apr-2021
>

> So do I need to convert the months back to an integer then recombine
> to plot.
>

> Jeff Reichman
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Hello,

You can use function as.yearmon in package zoo to get the correct month/year order.

df1 <- data.frame(Year = c(2021, 2021, 2021),
                   Mon = c("Mar", "Jan", "Apr"))

df1$mon_year <- zoo::as.yearmon(paste(df1$Mon, df1$Year))

sort(df1$mon_year)
#> [1] "Jan 2021" "Mar 2021" "Apr 2021"

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas