[R] extract parts of a list before symbol

Fri May 26 04:31:43 CEST 2023

What a remarkable set of detours, Avi, all deriving apparently from a few gaps in your understanding of R.

As Rolf said, "names(test)" is the answer.

a) Lists are vectors. They are not atomic vectors, but they are vectors, so as.vector(test) is a no-op.

test <- list( a = 1, b = 2, c=3 )
attributes(test)
attributes(as.vector(test))

(Were you thinking of the unlist function? If so, there is no reason to convert the value of the list to an atomic vector in order to look at the value of an attribute of that list.)

b) Data frames are lists, with the additional constraint that all elements have the same length, and that a names attribute and a row.names attribute are both required. Converting a list to a data frame to get the names is expensive in CPU cycles and breaks as soon as the list elements have a variety of lengths.

c) All data in R is stored as vectors. Worrying about whether a data value is a vector is pointless.

d) All objects can have attributes, including the name attribute. However, not all objects must have a name attribute... including lists. Omitting a name for any of the elements of a list in the constructor will lead to having a zero-length character values in the name attribute where the names were omitted. Omitting all names in the list constructor will cause no names attribute to be created for that list.

test2 <- list( 1, 2, 3 )
attributes(test2)

e) The names() function returns the value of the names attribute. If that attribute is missing, it returns NULL. For dataframes, the colnames function is equivalent to the names function (I rarely use the colnames function). For lists, colnames returns NULL... there are no "columns" in a list, because there is no constraint on the (lengths of the) contents of a list.

names(test2)

f) The names attribute, if it exists, is just a character vector. It is never necessary to convert the output of names() to a character vector. If the names attribute doesn't exist, then it is up to the user to write code that creates it.

names(test2) <- c( "A", "B", "C" )
attributes(test2)
names(test2)
# or use the argument names in the list function

names(test2) <- 1:3 # integer
names(test2) # character
attributes(test2)$names <- 1:3 # integer
attributes(test2) # character
test2[[ "2" ]] == 2  # TRUE
test2$`2`  == 2 # TRUE