[R] data.frame with a column containing an array

Georg Kindermann Georg@K|nderm@nn @end|ng |rom gmx@@t
Fri May 26 16:23:37 CEST 2023

Dear Bert!

Thanks for the answer.
Just let me summarize the current (4.3.0) behavior.

DF <- data.frame(id = 1:2)
DF[["ar"]] <- array(1:8, c(2,2,2))

#Converts array to vector
#Removes dim and takes selected elements from first column
DF[1,]
#  id ar
#1  1  1

str(DF[1,])
#'data.frame':   1 obs. of  2 variables:
# $ id: int 1
# $ ar: int 1

#Converts array to vector
#Removes dim and takes selected elements
DF[c(TRUE, FALSE),]
#  id ar
#1  1  1
#Warning message:
#In format.data.frame(if (omit) x[seq_len(n0), , drop = FALSE] else x,  :
#  corrupt data frame: columns will be truncated or padded with NAs

str(DF[c(TRUE, FALSE),])
#'data.frame':   1 obs. of  2 variables:
# $ id: int 1
# $ ar: int  1 3 5 7

#Converts array to vector
#Removes dim and takes selected elements from first column and
#adds all elements form the remaining data
DF[-2,]
#  id ar
#1  1  1
#Warning message:
#In format.data.frame(if (omit) x[seq_len(n0), , drop = FALSE] else x,  :
#  corrupt data frame: columns will be truncated or padded with NAs

str(DF[-2,])
#'data.frame':   1 obs. of  2 variables:
# $ id: int 1
# $ ar: int  1 3 4 5 6 7 8

#Converts array to vector
#Removes dim but keeps all elements
DF[TRUE,]
#  id ar
#1  1  1
#2  2  2
#Warning message:
#In format.data.frame(if (omit) x[seq_len(n0), , drop = FALSE] else x,  :
#  corrupt data frame: columns will be truncated or padded with NAs

str(DF[TRUE,])
#'data.frame':   2 obs. of  2 variables:
# $ id: int  1 2
# $ ar: int  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Kind regards,
Georg