[R] plot level, velocity, acceleration with one x axis

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Wed May 31 15:27:41 CEST 2023

On 5/30/23 10:23 AM, Eric Berger wrote:
> What if you just precede these commands as follows:
>
> par(mfrow=c(3,1))
> plot(DAX.[, 1], log='y', ylab='DAX')
> plot(DAX.[, 2], ylab='vel (%)')
> plot(DAX.[, 3], ylab='accel (%)')

	  Most of the space is consumed with two extraneous copies of the axis.
  We can get around that with three calls to par:

op <- par(mfrow=c(3,1), mar=c(0, 4.1, 4.1, 2.1))
plot(DAX.[, 1], log='y', ylab='DAX')
par(mar=c(0, 4.1, 0, 2.1))
plot(DAX.[, 2], ylab='vel (%)')
par(mar=c(5.1, 4.1, 0, 2.1))
plot(DAX.[, 3], ylab='accel (%)')
par(op)

	  However, the three panels are NOT equal in size:  roughly 30% vs. 44%
vs. 26%.  I can get closer using layout, but if I change the aspect
ratio, it changes the relationship between the heights of the three
panels.

	  That's the problem I'm trying to solve.  It's also why it makes sense
to me to modify plot.ts to accept a vector for the log argument, with
the constraint that length(lot) = either 1 or ncol(x).

	  There may be a way to do it using gglot2 / the tidyverse, but I'm not
facile with that, and my web searches have so far failed to produce
anything better than modifying plot.ts.R (and then submitting such with
compatible changes to plot.ts.Rd), as I suggested earlier.

	  ???
	  Thanks,
	  Spencer