[R] non-linear regression and root finding

Troels Ring tr|ng @end|ng |rom gvdnet@dk
Tue Nov 7 07:14:02 CET 2023

Thanks a lot, Berwin. Unfortunately, pK1 may well be negative and as I
understand the literature it may be poorly defined as such, and also
seems to be at a boundary, since when lower is set to say rep(-4,3) pK1
is returned as -4 while pK2 and pK3 are undisturbed. Perhaps the point
is that pK1 is not carrying any information at the pH around 5. Fair
enough, I guess. Only, I believe I need stick to including all three pK
values to be in agreement with the molecular information about HEPES -
although even this is contentious. Be as it may, I wonder if not your
method might work if only we KNOW that pK1 is either positive OR
negative, in which case we have pK1 = -exp(theta1)?

Best wishes
Troels