[R] make a lattice dotplot with symbol size proportional to a variable in the plotted dataframe

Deepayan Sarkar deep@y@n@@@rk@r @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Nov 7 17:25:10 CET 2023

Handling NSE in these kinds of examples is a pain in lattice. I would
suggest using with() and dropping the data argument for simple examples,
e.g.,

dd |> mutate(new.proportion = las/total, new.bubble = total/100) |>
    with(dotplot(agency ~ new.proportion, pch = 16, cex = new.bubble))

But if you care about multi-panel plots, you also need to be careful about
making sure that the 'cex' values get split properly. This is done
generally using the 'subscripts' argument provided to panel functions, so
something like this should be safer:

panel.bubble <- function(x, y, cex, ..., subscripts) {
    panel.dotplot(x, y, cex = cex[subscripts], ...)
}

dd |> mutate(new.proportion = las/total, new.bubble = total/100) |>
    with(dotplot(agency ~ new.proportion, pch = 16,
                 cex = new.bubble, panel = panel.bubble))

Best,
-Deepayan