[R] if-else that returns vector

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Oct 13 06:55:47 CEST 2023

?ifelse
'ifelse' returns a value with the same shape as 'test' which is
     filled with elements selected from either 'yes' or 'no' depending
     on whether the element of 'test' is 'TRUE' or 'FALSE'.

This is actually rather startling, because elsewhere in the
S (R) language, operands are normally replicated to the length
of the longer.  Thus
    c(1,2,3)*10 + c(5,6)
first (notionally) replicates 10 to c(10,10,10)
and then c(5,6) to c(5,6,5), yielding c(15,26,35).
And this *does* happen, sort of.
> ifelse(c(F,T,F), c(1,2,3), c(5,6))
=> 5 2 5.
But it *doesn't* apply to the test.

There's another surprise.  Years ago I expected that
all three arguments would be evaluated, then length
adjusted, and then processing would be done.
But the 2nd argument is evaluated (in full) if and only
if some element of the test is true,
and the 3rd argument is evaluated (in full) if and oly
if some element of the test is false.
ifelse(c(NA,NA), stop("true"), stop("false"))
=> c(NA,NA).