[R] Problems with installing R packages from source and running C++ in R, even on fresh R installation

Fri Sep 1 16:53:15 CEST 2023

В Fri, 01 Sep 2023 09:05:45 +0000
Christophe Bousquet <chr_bousquet using protonmail.com> пишет:

> In the first situation, I run the command tools::Rcmd('SHLIB --help')
> from within R (launched by clicking on the R icon). I get:
> Process Name: Rcmd.exe
> PID: 8204
> Result: SUCCESS
> Detail: PID: 4028, Command line: \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\conhost.exe
> 0xffffffff -ForceV1

I'll be honest with you: I still don't understand what's going on.

Thank you for confirming that your filter works (seeing Rcmd.exe
launched when you run tools::Rcmd() from Rterm.exe is the expected
behaviour), but I don't know enough about Windows internals to come up
with an explanation for the observed behaviour.

If you're up to compiling R from source [*] and using a symbolic
debugger [**] to step through Rcmd.exe, we could try to do that.
Murphy's law says that the copy of Rcmd.exe you'll build from source
will work well and refuse to reproduce the problem for you to
investigate. (Beyond that, there is binary-level debugging, which I'm
not well versed in.)

--
Best regards,
Ivan