[R] [Pkg-Collaboratos] BioShapes Almost-Package

Mon Sep 4 10:51:32 CEST 2023

On 03/09/2023 10:47 p.m., Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Leonard... the reason roxygen exists is to allow markup in source files to be used to automatically generate the numerous files required by standard R packages as documented in Writing R Extensions.
>
> If your goal is to not use source files this way then the solution is to not use roxygen at all. Just create those files yourself by directly editing them from scratch.

Just a bit of elaboration on Jeff's suggestion -- here's the workflow I
prefer to using Roxygen.

Once you have a function that works:

1.  install the package
2.  set your working directory to the package "man" directory
3.  run `prompt(functionname)`
4.  edit `functionname.Rd` in the "man" directory, which will already be
filled in as a skeleton help file, with comments describing what else to
add.

Don't run prompt() again after editing, or you'll lose all your edits.
But this is a good way to get started.

I think for the first few times the comments are really helpful, but I
wouldn't mind a way to suppress them.

Duncan Murdoch