[R] only install.packages with type="source" will install packages

Thu Sep 14 17:25:23 CEST 2023

There is/was a discrepancy between versions in source form and in binary form for that package on the CRAN server. (The server that compiles binaries for MacOS has been stuck recently.) You declined (automatically or explicitly) to upgrade from source. This meant you kept an out-of-date binary version in your library when you declined. Updating from source brought you fully up-to-date.

This is normal. If you are not dying to stay on the bleeding edge, ignore the source-binary discrepancy that leaves you a bit behind... the binary on CRAN will eventually get updated.