[R] save() and load()

Tue Sep 26 03:46:02 CEST 2023

You never created any object in R called irisdataTest. Objects in the global environment have names that are unrelated to the names of files on disk.

The load function modifies an environment to create a variable named as it was named in the environment from which it was saved. Thus, you cannot simply load an object that was saved with one name into an object named something else. It is possible to create a new environment to put the loaded objects into, but I wouldn't recommend trying to explain how to do that to a beginner.  Rather, I would instead recommend using saveRDS and readRDS instead to save/load exactly one object at a time without storing the object name.

saveRDS( mtcars, "my_mtcars.rds" )
new_obj <- readRDS( "my_mtcars.rds" )

I would also guide them to never save their environment when prompted by R... the .RData file this creates will remember mistakes made in previous sessions making troubleshooting very difficult later. Instead they should focus on making a top-to-bottom script that has all their analysis steps so they can start from scratch.