[R] data.table installation on intel macOS Ventura 13.6

Naresh Gurbuxani n@re@h_gurbux@n| @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Tue Sep 26 11:49:15 CEST 2023

> Sys.info()
                                                                                                 sysname
                                                                                                "Darwin"
                                                                                                 release
                                                                                                "22.6.0"
                                                                                                 version
"Darwin Kernel Version 22.6.0: Fri Sep 15 13:39:52 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.141.3.700.8~1/RELEASE_X86_64"
                                                                                              nodename
                                                                         [deleted]
                                                                                                 machine
                                                                                                "x86_64"
                                                                                                   login
                                                                                       [deleted]
                                                                                                    user
                                                                                       [deleted]
                                                                                          effective_user
                                                                                       [deleted]

My Makevars file:
CPPFLAGS += -Xclang -fopenmp
LDFLAGS += -lomp

Using brew, I installed libomp

data.table is not installed on my machine.  In fresh R session:
> install.packages("data.table", repos = "https://cran.r-project.org")
Installing package into ‘/usr/local/lib/R/4.3/site-library’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL 'https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/data.table_1.14.8.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 5338582 bytes (5.1 MB)
downloaded 5.1 MB

* installing *source* package ‘data.table’ ...
** package ‘data.table’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
zlib 1.2.11 is available ok
*** OpenMP not supported! data.table uses OpenMP to automatically
***   parallelize operations like sorting, grouping, file reading, etc.
*** For details on how to install the necessary toolchains on your OS see:
***   https://github.com/Rdatatable/data.table/wiki/Installation
*** Continuing installation without OpenMP support...
** libs
using C compiler: ‘Homebrew clang version 17.0.1’
using SDK: ‘’
clang -I"/usr/local/Cellar/r/4.3.1/lib/R/include" -DNDEBUG   -I/usr/local/opt/gettext/include -I/usr/local/opt/readline/include -I/usr/local/opt/xz/include -I/usr/local/include -Xclang -fopenmp    -fPIC  -g -O2  -c assign.c -o assign.o
[several lines deleted]
clang -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -undefined dynamic_lookup -single_module -multiply_defined suppress -L/usr/local/Cellar/r/4.3.1/lib/R/lib -L/usr/local/opt/gettext/lib -L/usr/local/opt/readline/lib -L/usr/local/opt/xz/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lomp -o data.table.so assign.o between.o bmerge.o chmatch.o cj.o coalesce.o dogroups.o fastmean.o fcast.o fifelse.o fmelt.o forder.o frank.o fread.o freadR.o froll.o frollR.o frolladaptive.o fsort.o fwrite.o fwriteR.o gsumm.o ijoin.o init.o inrange.o nafill.o nqrecreateindices.o openmp-utils.o quickselect.o rbindlist.o reorder.o shift.o snprintf.o subset.o transpose.o types.o uniqlist.o utils.o vecseq.o wrappers.o -lz -L/usr/local/Cellar/r/4.3.1/lib/R/lib -lR -lintl -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation
ld: warning: -single_module is obsolete
ld: warning: -multiply_defined is obsolete
ld: warning: -single_module is obsolete
ld: warning: -multiply_defined is obsolete
ld: library 'omp' not found
make: *** [data.table.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘data.table’
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/4.3/site-library/data.table’

The downloaded source packages are in
	‘/private/var/folders/97/5377j5_d207fshvjz_pz7szw0000gn/T/RtmpjZgIo0/downloaded_packages’
Warning message:
In install.packages("data.table", repos = "https://cran.r-project.org") :
  installation of package ‘data.table’ had non-zero exit status

I delete above two lines from my Makevars fiie, which is now empty.  Now reinstall data.table.

> install.packages("data.table", repos = "https://cran.r-project.org")
Installing package into ‘/usr/local/lib/R/4.3/site-library’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL 'https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/data.table_1.14.8.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 5338582 bytes (5.1 MB)
downloaded 5.1 MB

* installing *source* package ‘data.table’ ...
** package ‘data.table’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
zlib 1.2.11 is available ok
R CMD SHLIB supports OpenMP without any extra hint
** libs
using C compiler: ‘Homebrew clang version 17.0.1’
using SDK: ‘’
clang -I"/usr/local/Cellar/r/4.3.1/lib/R/include" -DNDEBUG   -I/usr/local/opt/gettext/include -I/usr/local/opt/readline/include -I/usr/local/opt/xz/include -I/usr/local/include     -fPIC  -g -O2  -c assign.c -o assign.o
[several lines deleted]
clang -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -undefined dynamic_lookup -single_module -multiply_defined suppress -L/usr/local/Cellar/r/4.3.1/lib/R/lib -L/usr/local/opt/gettext/lib -L/usr/local/opt/readline/lib -L/usr/local/opt/xz/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o data.table.so assign.o between.o bmerge.o chmatch.o cj.o coalesce.o dogroups.o fastmean.o fcast.o fifelse.o fmelt.o forder.o frank.o fread.o freadR.o froll.o frollR.o frolladaptive.o fsort.o fwrite.o fwriteR.o gsumm.o ijoin.o init.o inrange.o nafill.o nqrecreateindices.o openmp-utils.o quickselect.o rbindlist.o reorder.o shift.o snprintf.o subset.o transpose.o types.o uniqlist.o utils.o vecseq.o wrappers.o -lz -L/usr/local/Cellar/r/4.3.1/lib/R/lib -lR -lintl -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation
ld: warning: -single_module is obsolete
ld: warning: -multiply_defined is obsolete
ld: warning: -single_module is obsolete
ld: warning: -multiply_defined is obsolete
PKG_CFLAGS =
PKG_LIBS = -lz
if [ "data.table.so" != "data_table.so" ]; then mv data.table.so data_table.so; fi
if [ "" != "Windows_NT" ] && [ `uname -s` = 'Darwin' ]; then install_name_tool -id data_table.so data_table.so; fi
installing to /usr/local/lib/R/4.3/site-library/00LOCK-data.table/00new/data.table/libs
** R
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** installing vignettes
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
** checking absolute paths in shared objects and dynamic libraries
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
** testing if installed package keeps a record of temporary installation path
* DONE (data.table)
> library(data.table)
data.table 1.14.8 using 1 threads (see ?getDTthreads).  Latest news: r-datatable.com
This installation of data.table has not detected OpenMP support. It should still work but in single-threaded mode.
This is a Mac. Please read https://mac.r-project.org/openmp/. Please engage with Apple and ask them for support. Check r-datatable.com for updates, and our Mac instructions here: https://github.com/Rdatatable/data.table/wiki/Installation. After several years of many reports of installation problems on Mac, it's time to gingerly point out that there have been no similar problems on Windows or Linux.