[R] x[0]: Can '0' be made an allowed index in R?

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Apr 24 11:02:23 CEST 2024

Note that elt(x, -1) is NOT AN OCCURRENCE OF AN EXISTING OPERATION.
It's a call to elt(-,-), which has its own semantics.
And the semantics of (x, i) when i is outside the interval
[0,length(x)) is UNDEFINED.

# elt(x, i) where i is numeric and all(0 <= i & i < length(x)) selects
one or more
# elements from x using 0-origin elements.  i should not be logical and must not
# be character.  This cannot be used for deleting.
elt <- function (x, i) x[i+1]

# elt(x, i) <- value where i is numeric and all(0 <= i & i <
length(x)) replaces one
# or more elements of x with (corresponding elements of) value using
0-origin indexing.
# i should not be logical and must not be character.
"elt<-" <- function (x, i, value) { x[i+1] <- value; x}

The goal was to get the effect of 0-origin indexing, and that's all
elt(-,-) is defined to do.
Recall the starting point of this thread.
There is existing code in another language or other languages where
0-origin is the
norm, and it would be pleasant to transliterate it into R introducing
fewer errors.
That language/those languages almost certainly do not use R's negative-indexing-
for-deletion.  Even APL doesn't do that.  Therefore elt(-,-) need not
do that.  And it
doesn't,

And a limitation like this is useful.  If you want to change/extend
the semantics of :"[",
you have to worry about ALL the legal ways to use "[".
But if you are introducing a NEW operation you only have to worry
about the things
it's intended to do (like play the limited role that indexing plays in
some other language(s)).