[R] Packages sometimes don't update, but no error or warning is thrown

Tue Feb 13 11:33:29 CET 2024

Às 10:09 de 13/02/2024, gernophil--- via R-help escreveu:
> Yes you're right that it started as an Bioconductor issue. The reason I am writing it here, if because of one of the core members of the Bioconductor project stated this:
> "(...) But anyway, it's almost certainly an install.packages issue rather than BiocManager::install, so you might check over at r-help using r-project.org."
>
> It's hard to give an explicit example here since it's always a bit time dependent, when and if this happens. And "unfortunately", right now all packages can be updated, but I'll come back to this as soon as I experience it again. It's more of a general feature request then a help request, but as you say "In my experience update.packages() asks whether you want the source or binary install and respects your choice." However, at least for me, it does not do this anymore, but simply silently fails to update those packages.
>
> The Bioconductor thread is the most informative for this (https://support.bioconductor.org/p/9156283[https://support.bioconductor.org/p/9156283/#9156308]) in case anyone wants to check the situation in more detail.
>

> Philipp
>

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. Februar 2024 um 10:53 Uhr
> Von: "Duncan Murdoch" <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
> An: "R Project Help" <R-help using r-project.org>
> Betreff: [R] Packages sometimes don't update, but no error or warning is thrown
> Those three references are about RStudio and Bioconductor (or at least
> they start out that way, I didn't read through the long threads).
> Neither of those is relevant here, but from my quick scan it appears the
> issue is that those systems detect a package in source form is
> available, then install an older binary instead.
>
> If you have an example where update.packages() does this, that would be
> on topic on this list. Please post just that here: your calls, and all
> the output you received. In my experience update.packages() asks
> whether you want the source or binary install and respects your choice.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>
> On 13/02/2024 3:59 a.m., gernophil--- via R-help wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> this question is related to this (https://community.rstudio.com/t/packages-are-not-updating/166214/3[https://community.rstudio.com/t/packages-are-not-updating/166214/3]), this (https://www.biostars.org/p/9586316/#9586323[https://www.biostars.org/p/9586316/#9586323]) and this (https://support.bioconductor.org/p/9156283/#9156308[https://support.bioconductor.org/p/9156283/#9156308]). The two latter ones are pots from myself.

> [...]
Hello,

Not exactly an answer, just a thought:
Whenever I have problems updating or installing packages from whithin
RStudio I close RStudio, write a script with the install.packages() call
and run it from a command window.

R -q -f "instscript.R"

This many times works better and it also works with Bioconductor's
BiocManager::install or with remotes'/devtools's install_github.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

--
Este e-mail foi analisado pelo software antivírus AVG para verificar a presença de vírus.
www.avg.com