[R] igraph_vertex

Ivan Krylov |kry|ov @end|ng |rom d|@root@org
Mon Feb 26 10:15:03 CET 2024

В Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:02:56 +0100
SIBYLLE STÖCKLI via R-help <r-help using r-project.org> пишет:

> In the following code, which loads the tiff file, I get the following
> error

This warning is definitely worth investigating, but it shouldn't
interrupt your code. Does the figure come out wrong after you see this
warning?

> In doTryCatch(return(expr), name, parentenv, handler) : Character set
> family not found in the Windows character set database
>
> --> I am unsure if mySQL is the right solution. I have no experience
> how to change mySQL.

I see you've tried to do the right thing and searched for the warning
message. Unfortunately, the search engines are wrong; this doesn't seem
related to MySQL.

A similarly-worded warning message exists in the Windows-related font
functions inside R:

>> warning(_("font family not found in Windows font database"))

If running a sufficiently new version of R, try Sys.setLanguage('en')
before reproducing the problem and searching for the exact warning
message in double quotes. (Reset it back using
Sys.setLanguage(your_language_code) or restart R afterwards.)
Translated error and warning messages are good for understanding, but
they fragment the search engine results.

I see that a few messages back you set a font family:

>      vertex.label.family="Helvetica",

R probably doesn't know where to get it in order to render the plot as
TIFF. If you have a copy of Helvetica installed in your system, try
registering it using windowsFonts(Helvetica = windowsFont("how the
font is named in the system")). (See help(windowsFonts) for more
information.) Otherwise you may be limited to R's predefined font
families.

It's annoying that "Helvetica" exists for PDF plots and such seemingly
without a problem, but if you change the output format to TIFF, the set
of fonts available to you changes too. Unfortunately, there are
multiple different font rendering engines in play, and their predefined
lists of fonts also differ.

--
Best regards,
Ivan