[R] converting MATLAB -> R | element-wise operation

Tue Feb 27 22:51:25 CET 2024

Why anything but sweep?

The fundamental data type in Matlab is a matrix... they don't have vectors, they have Nx1 matrices and 1xM matrices.

Vectors don't have any concept of "row" vs. "column". Straight division is always elementwise with recycling as needed, and matrices are really vectors in row-major order:

1 2 3
4 5 6

is really

1 4 2 5 3 6

and when you do straight division NN / lambda then lambda is repeated:

1 4 2 5 3 6
2 3 4 2 3 4

to get

0.5 1.3 0.5 2.5 1.0 1.5

but if you transpose first

1 4
2 5
3 6

then that corresponds to an underlying vector:

1 2 3 4 5 6

which lines up with lambda in t(NN)/lambda as:

1 2 3 4 5 6
2 3 4 2 3 4

to obtain:

0.50 0.67 0.75 2.0 1.67 1.50

and inherits the dimensions of t(NN):

0.50 2.00
0.67 1.67
0.75 1.50

which can be transposed back as in t( t( NN ) / lambda ):

0.50 0.67 0.75
2.00 1.67 1.50

but that requires a lot of moving elements around while sweep does not.

Operators are not necessarily "better" than named functions... they just look different.