[R] Use of geometric mean for geochemical concentrations

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @end|ng |rom @pp|-eco@y@@com
Mon Jan 22 16:45:31 CET 2024

A statistical question, not specific to R.

I'm asking for a pointer for a source of definitive descriptions of what
types of data are best summarized by the arithmetic, geometric, and harmonic
means.

As an aquatic ecologist I see regulators apply the geometric mean to
geochemical concentrations rather than using the arithmetic mean. I want to
know whether the geometric mean of a set of chemical concentrations (e.g.,
in mg/L) is an appropriate representation of the expected value. If not, I
want to explain this to non-technical decision-makers; if so, I want to
understand why my assumption is wrong.

TIA,

Rich