[R] Use of geometric mean for geochemical concentrations [RESOLVED]

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Jan 28 12:04:50 CET 2024

Suppose we measure the concentration of urea in four samples.
Suppose the results are 1, 2, 3, and 4 μmol·L−1,
How should we summarise this?

If you collect a predetermined volume V of water and measure the
number of moles M(V) of urea then calculated
C(V) = M(V)/V, and then you did that four times, then pooling the four
samples gives you
(M(V1)+M(V2)+M(V3)+M(V4))/(V1+V2+V3+V4) =
(V1*C(V1)+V2*C(V2)+V3*C(V3)+V4*C(V4))/(V1+V2+V3+V4)
and this just *is* the concentration of urea in the pooled samples.
If the samples are all the same volume, this reduces to the arithmetic mean.
In this case, 2.5 μmol·L−1,

If you predetermine a number of moles M of urea and collect water
until the volume V(M) contains M moles,
then calculated C(M) = M/V(M), and then you did that four times,
pooling the samples gives you
(M1+M2+M3+M4)/(M1/C(M1) + M2/C(M2) + M3/C(M3) + M4/C(M4))
and this just *is* the concentration of urea in the pooled samples.
If the samples all contain the same amount of urea, this reduces to
the geometric mean.
In this case, 1.92 μmol·L−1,

Really, it's not a statistical question but a semantic one: what
physical reality do the data reflect and what combinations of the
numbers make sense in/of the real world?