[R] R interpreting numeric field as a boolean field

Paul Bernal p@u|bern@|07 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jan 30 19:40:52 CET 2024

Dear friend Duncan,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Yes, that is exactly what is
happening, there are a lot of NA values at the start, so R assumes that the
field is of type boolean. The challenge that I am facing is that I want to
read into R an Excel file that has many sheets (46 in this case) but I
wanted to combine all 46 sheets into a single dataframe (since the columns
are exactly the same for all 46 sheets). The rio package does this nicely,
the problem is that, once I have the full dataframe (which amounts to
roughly 2.98 million rows total), I cannot change the data type from
boolean to numeric. I tried doing dataset$my_field =
as.numeric(dataset$my_field), I also tried to do dataset <-
dataset[complete.cases(dataset), ], didn't work either.

The only thing that worked for me was to take a single sheed and through
the read_excel function use the guess_max parameter and set it to a
sufficiently large number (a number >= to the total amount of the full
merged dataset). I want to automate the merging of the N number of Excel
sheets so that I don't have to be manually doing it. Unless there is a way
to accomplish something similar to what rio's package function import_list
does, that is able to keep the field's numeric data type nature.

Cheers,
Paul

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]