[R] Initializing vector and matrices

Sat Mar 2 19:52:50 CET 2024

To be fair, these replies no longer include the original question, which was IMO really quite clear (if misguided), and was actually targeted at understanding pre-allocation for better performance. Richard's suggestion to store the along-the-way constructed vectors in a list and examine the lengths of the elements of that list after it is completely constructed if it is really desired to force vectors of varying lengths into a matrix seems appropriate. The possibly-misguided part is in the thought that vectors of different lengths belong in a matrix at all... leaving them in a list seems more likely to be appropriate.

OP: Avoid mis-using NA to "fill out" the end of uniform-length vectors. Each index position in a vector should represent some information... if you are throwing NAs or zeros in willy-nilly then you are not taking care to assign meaning to those positions, and likely wasting memory and time doing so. If you were taking such care, then any appropriate NAs would already be present in the vectors before you put them into the matrix, and the original question would not have crossed OPs mind because the vectors world already be of the same length. NA means that information for a specific position is "unknown", not "space filler".

Now if OP wants better guidance on restructuring their analysis, then certainly sharing those details would help the discussion move away from the original misguided question... but that would be another thread to answer the question that should have been asked.