[R] Rtools and things dependent on it

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 14 17:37:30 CET 2024

On 2/24/24 01:01, David Winsemius wrote:
> On 2/23/24 14:34, avi.e.gross using gmail.com wrote:
>> This may be a dumb question and the answer may make me feel dumber.
>>
>> I have had trouble for years with R packages wanting Rtools on my machine
>> and not being able to use it. Many packages are fine as binaries are
>> available. I have loaded Rtools and probably need to change my PATH or
>> something.
>
> I suppose making sure that whatever directory holds your Rtools code is
> on your path would be a good idea. I wondered if there's an environment
> variable that could be set, but reading the page on using Rtools did not
> mention one until I got down to the section on building R from source
> which is surely NOT what you want to do.. You should read the
> information on installation and building packages from source.
> https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/howto-R-devel.html which
> includes this sentence:
>
> "It is recommended to use the defaults and install into|c:/rtools43|.
> When done that way, Rtools43 may be used in the same R session which
> installed it or which was started before Rtools43 was installed."
Yes, for regular users, who just want to install R packages on Windows
from source (packages that include C, C++ of Fortran code), all that is
needed is to:

- install R from the official installer provided by CRAN

- install Rtools (also from CRAN) for that version of R (so Rtools42 for
R 4.2, Rtools43 for R 4.3, Rtools44 for R-devel/to become R 4.4)

If both is done accepting the defaults, no additional configuration is
needed. R will automatically find Rtools when it needs it. One can have
multiple versions of R and multiple versions of Rtools installed on the
system, R will find and use the version of Rtools it needs.

Tomas