[BioC] (replying to postings)

Martin Maechler Martin Maechler <maechler@stat.math.ethz.ch>
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:16:02 +0100

    Vincent> robert's email is generated from
    Vincent> bioconductor-admin, but i made the reply to
    Vincent> bioconductor to reach the core.  please advise if
    Vincent> changes to my mailing strategy are desired.

The mails from both mailman (like this) or majordomo (like the
usual R lists) come with a

 From:   <you, the poster>
 Sender: <listname>-admin@....   {"-admin" for mailman / "-owner" for majordomo}
 To:     <listname>      @....

(and several other headers, in particular, mailman has half a
 dozen of "List-*: <url>" headers.)

A reply or followup of
any decent MUA (mail user agent) should produce a
  To:   <him, the poster> @ ..
  CC:   <listname> @ ..

where it may depend which is To and which (or if there) is CC.

Yes, there are bad pieces of software who do reply to "admin"/"owner".
Yes, they are a real pain, particularly when I am the admin/owner  :-)

Martin