[BioC] First business

Martin Maechler Martin Maechler <maechler@stat.math.ethz.ch>
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:28:01 +0100

    >>  My proposal is to set up a discussion mailing list (that
    >> we all subscribe to) for Bioconductor. I don't think that
    >> we have anything to

    Vincent> i take it that mailing to
    Vincent> bioconductor@stat.math.ethz.ch constitutes even at
    Vincent> this point a discussion mailing list

    Vincent> an open question is how to structure the
    Vincent> communications system.  bioconductor-core is
    Vincent> necessary for continuing threads like this one.
    Vincent> bioconductor-help, bioconductor-devel also seem to
    Vincent> make sense.

I would propose to change this (current group) to "bioconductor-core"
-- which I would propose to call "biocore" (the the other being
too long for my taste).

and make "bioconductor" a new (currently only) public list.

    >> discuss yet -- which is a problem. We have had four
    >> requests to join

    Vincent> i think we have a fair amount to discuss as core,
    Vincent> and those who are non-core may want to describe
    Vincent> their concerns.  probably not too early to start,
    Vincent> but a bit too early to publicize very widely

    >> all with .de suffixes but there will be more.  Any other
    >> ideas?

    >> Next, libraries. I am hoping to have our new programmer
             ^^^^^^^^^
the word is really "packages"
A library is either a *.so, *.dll, *.a (etc) file
or one of the [lib.loc] directories where packages are located

    >> (starting in Jan) learn how to test libraries and to
    >> handle all submissions (by doing some simple testing and
    >> then add them to a site like CRAN).  Do we want to
    >> develop and start to populate the site now with the
    >> proviso that we will put in more stringent tests later?
    >> The reason for this is to gain some momentum and
    >> hopefully to find some more people who might be willing
    >> to do some of the organizational work that will be
    >> needed.

    Vincent> i am in favor of deployment soon.  i will be
    Vincent> working on getting test-functionality equivalent to
    Vincent> Biobase.  pointers on how to get there would be
    Vincent> worth writing down.

    >>  Fritz/Kurt: is it feasible to set up a web page for
    >> bioconductor off of CRAN using mainly the existing
    >> structure and to populate it with unvetted software. I
    >> expect that the new programmer will be able to take this
    >> over in late January. So it would be the initial setup
    >> and population that would be required.

    Vincent> i hope this is possible, otherwise we need to get
    Vincent> sourceforge or anoncvs running locally.  i would
    Vincent> put some effort into that if i knew that ad hoc
    Vincent> security considerations would not lay that effort
    Vincent> to waste at some arbitrary future time

    >> a giant step forward) to organize some mechanism for
    >> keeping track of what we are doing and what other people
    >> are doing regarding building
packages

    Vincent> http://biowww.dfci.harvard.edu/~bioconductor/
    Vincent> already has a little bit in this regard.  we need
    Vincent> to distinguish between internal core-level tracking
    Vincent> that can be used for strategizing and evaluation
    Vincent> and public tracking that is a public service and
    Vincent> agenda publicity

    Vincent> i am happy to put core-generated changes into the
    Vincent> aforementioned web page on short notice.

thank you.
However, this should eventually move to www.bioconductor.org,  right?

	 <....>

Martin