[BioC] contributing packages

Jeff Gentry jgentry@jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:24:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi David ....

> What is the mechanism for contributing an R package to Bioconductor? I would
> like information on license agreements, an email address to send the source
> code to, and any other guidelines. I could not find that information on the
> web site. Thank you for your assistance.

Well, I was going to give the quick answer to see the FAQ, especially
http://www.bioconductor.org/what.html#R%20and%20Bioconductor.  However,
this seems to be incomplete, especially to answer some of your questions.
I could have sworn most of this was *somewhere*, but I guess this shows
that I need to do some page updating :)

Anyhow, to answer your questions:
- Licenses:  Contributed packages are expected to be licensed under an
open source license.  We heavily encourage the use of the LGPL for any
sort of "infrastructure" packages (ie: non-leaf, packages that are
intended to be used by other packages), although "leaf" type packages are
more up to you.

- Email:  Send either a description/link to the Bioconductor list or you
can email me directly either the same information or the package itself.

- Other guidelines:  See that link I put above, specifically the "How can
I create an Bioconductor compliant package?" subsection.

If you have any other questions, feel free to shout.

Thanks for your interest!

-Jeff