[BioC] affy-devel

Laurent Gautier laurent@cbs.dtu.dk
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:47:57 +0200

Dear all,

Users of the affy packages will have certainly noticed that the
'development' version has been through various stages of stability.
In some case I even advertised for functions, but in many cases
by the time people download the package some work has been done and
the function of interest does not work any longer. This was particularly
true with high-level functions.

Major changes(*) are likely to happen in the future, which could make
this even more frequent.

To try to avoid this, a extensive(**) collection of tests have been put in the
directory 'tests/' of the package (we wished we would have done it earlier,
but time... time...). Starting with the version number 1.2.1(***), the
package you will find on the web passed these tests.
Please report non-working functions so we can fix
them/add new tests... but remember that some things will not be solved
instantly. The 'released' version remains the 'stable' version.

Regards,

Laurent

(*)  : Some speed/memory improvements are already done... but there is more to
come (see previous post from Rafael).
(**) : But not comprehensive... more tests will be added. Currently
all the normalization methods, all the background correction method,
all the expression values computation method (or 'summary method'), the
parsing of CEL files, and the function expresso are tested.
(***): Should appear today

Laurent Gautier			CBS, Building 208, DTU
PhD. Student			DK-2800 Lyngby,Denmark
tel: +45 45 25 24 89		http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/laurent