[BioC] tkctk widgets

Robert Gentleman rgentlem@jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:51:04 -0500

Below is a request from Rafael regarding some work that Jianhua has
been doing with tcl/tk widgets.
I am hoping that this might be of more general interest to
bioconductor participants (and hence have forwarded it).

The idea is very simple, we are going to develop a handful of widgets
to provide some simple functionality. (I don't believe that menus are
an option, but all sorts of popups are). Initial work will be in tcltk
but if Gtk stabalizes it may well be worth moving over to it (since it
is much richer).

There are some examples there now,
 fileBrowser  -- browse and select files, optional suffix, prefix, and
          arbitrary R functions to control display
 objectBrowser -- soon to allow arbitrary R functions to control
 display (so for example we will show only exprSets).

We are hoping to work, in conjunction with Rafael and Laurent to
develop tools needed to allow a researcher to load up their Affymetrix
data into the affy package and normalize etc using only a point and
click interface.

Some other interesting developments:
  - annotate will (very shortly) have some better tools for grabbing
  things from NCBI (eg pubmed abstracts etc).

Comments and suggestions, such as those below can be sent to the
package developer/maintainer. Especially welcome would be new tools
functions (with documentation, sorry but it has to be that way).

  Regards
    Robert

----- Forwarded message from "Rafael A. Irizarry" <ririzarr@jhsph.edu> -----

Yesterday I tried the tcltk package. I tried the function fileBrowser.
my understadnig is that it only lets you pick one file. a useful function
for affy would let you select various files and return a vector of
filenames. i suggest we start the trial run with this task.

here is some further functionality that would be nice. the list is in
what i suspect is increasing order of dificulty (apologies in advance if
some of these are impossible):

1 -  a click selects a file thats
not selected and deselect a file that is selected.

2 -  drag select

3 - two selection boxes: one showing all with suffix "[cC][eE][lL]" in
the path another with all with suffix "[cC][dD][fF]".

4 - areas for writing in information needed. for example, comments,
annotation, names for columns, file to read phenodata from, etc..

don't hesitate to ask me to be more specific.

rafael

----- End forwarded message -----