[BioC] Affymetrix CDF Packages

Laurent Gautier laurent@cbs.dtu.dk
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:51:44 +0100

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 05:11:28PM -0500, Jeff Gentry wrote:
> R packages for Affymetrix CDF data is now available on the Bioconductor
> website at: http://www.bioconductor.org/data/cdfenvs/cdfenvs.html (as well
> as the 'Affymetrix CDF Packages' link from the normal data page.  Please
> contact Rafael Irizarry (rafa@jhu.edu) with questions regarding the
> packages themselves, and myself if you have questions or problems relating
> to downloading of these packages.
>
> -Jeff

Just few words to explain what are these things.
The package 'affy' is under major changes. One of
them is that the probes location information contained in CDF files
is extracted from there and stored in a R data structure. This was done
for all the CDF we could get a hand on, and packages were created.
Advantages are:
- automated linking from the CEL to the CDF information package
- small improvement in memory using usage (complete CDF information are
  no longer stored in memory when not necessary)
- speed improvement when doing lookups.
- other advantages that should be revealed in due time.

If one wants to be on the bleeding edge, the 'devel' version of affy
can probably be already tried (but be aware that we are still working on
it).

A short description of the nature of these packages should probably be
included on the website (like on the page where one can download
them)...

Laurent Gautier			CBS, Building 208, DTU
PhD. Student			DK-2800 Lyngby,Denmark
tel: +45 45 25 24 89		http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/laurent