[BioC] R-packages

Friedrich.Leisch@ci.tuwien.ac.at Friedrich.Leisch@ci.tuwien.ac.at
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:48:54 +0200

  > Hello,
  > I'm a student at Zlatko Trajanoski's Bioinformatics-Workgroup at the
  > University of Technology Graz, Austria.

  > My master thesis deals with normalisation methods for cDNA-microarrays and
  > statistical analysis.
  > The goal is to implement a free Java-library (and additionally a GUI) to do
  > these steps of processing.

  > I've searched through many parts of R-code (marray* - packages) and that's
  > exactly what i need (input, plotting, normalize,...).

  > But how can i translate/convert the R-code into Java-code without proper
  > knowledge about the R-language?

Hmm, don't think one can translate between two languages without
knowing both ...

  > Have you got any experience with such problems?

  > Any further information would help me!

Why would you want to re-create the stuff that's already in R?
Wouldn't it be better to build on top of what we already have in R?
Is a RJava interface that allows to got from R to Java and back, hence
you can embed R in Java, so building a Java GUI on top of R is
possible.

Best,
Fritz Leisch

                        Friedrich  Leisch
Institut für Statistik                     Tel: (+43 1) 58801 10715
Technische Universität Wien                Fax: (+43 1) 58801 10798
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/1071      Friedrich.Leisch@ci.tuwien.ac.at
A-1040 Wien, Austria             http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch